Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Heart of Darkness

"This, too was once one of the dark places of the earth."
-Joseph Conrad

OK, Heart of Darkness it wasn’t, but a ride on a 70’s Grady-White in might as well been since things have been so dull for me of late. So a little embellishment of my non-story both here and in my mind is inevitable, so bear with me friends.

Guy took me out on his boat (he even let me take the wheel, see!). He has a cool old Grady-White. The voyage was from the Gloucester Marina up the Annisquam to Ipswich Bay and back. The purpose of this was to run his finicky motor, but for me it was the fist time on a boat (not counting Long Island ferries and Kayaks) in over a year. Pathetic when you consider that I had a USCG captains license.

It had been decades since I’d made this run, Annisquam and Wingaersheek were gorgeous. I had no idea there were so many homes along the river. They ranged from the obvious posh Summer estates to very cool little seasonal cottages and bungalows. Go up the river, you won't find Kurtz. But you will find Riverdale, Wingaersheek, and Annisquam at it's prettiest.

Heart if Darkness: Now that I think about it, it's a book I'll have to revisit. Mr. Zamore at Belmont Hill could not emphasize enough Conrad's brilliance. God was I thick. But 25 years later it has sunk in, his efforts weren't in vain.

No comments:

Post a Comment