Sunday, August 25, 2013

Getting hopelessly lost on the trail only to find a gem

Bike ride Bikes and me go back long before surf, coming from a family of bikefolk. So by no means is a kickass bike ride ever a consolation prize - even if I get lost in this place every ****ing time.

Rad as shit wildlife encounter: The Barred Owl (Strix varia) (so the internet says)

I effing love owls - just the coolest creatures ever. So while slogging along the trail without the slightest clue of where I was this owl drops out of a tree alongside the trail to an 'altitude' of about 5 feet, on its way to another perch on a nearby tree. His/her wings making a whooosh sound, we're that close. Just flying alongside about 10 feet away, before vanishing to the canopy. Big birds! and the coolest thing ever. Some huge changes are going down in the coming week (finally closing on the house), and I'm always looking for signs.

A common owl in New England woods, you rarely see them, but you certainly hear them all night. Ladies and Gentlemen: the Barred Owl - For your edification a picture from Flickr (not mine) - this is how amped I am that I got lost. Or was I lost?

Barred Owl Spruced Up

No comments:

Post a Comment