Tuesday, December 29, 2009

2009 HT Surfy Year in Review

66850001.JPG
January:
No surf for the entire calendar month. In all my years surfing, this is the first time this has ever happened. Poor conditions and an insane work schedule were the prime factors. Not a precursor, '09 was the year of the nearby new spot.
IMG_3686.JPG
February
The Junod showed up at work (during a meeting). Andreini debut in Newport – burp. Why burp? I was completely out of shape and heavy, and the offshore wind was relentless. Windy to he point of needing two people to strap the board on the car roof.
IMG_3739.JPG
March
Hye Tyde 2009 Jazz Festival. The Junod is a winner, so is the Andreini, but she turns out to be a tricky board to ride. The standout sessions were the snowy creekside adventure on the Andreini, and to Jazz the glass sessions on the Junod
IMG_4017.JPG
April
Hansen 50-50, yo. The yard sale score. Memorable moment – getting fired from a cannon, not really, it was a huge left at GH on the Mini Zeke. From just to the right of Snack Bars all the way to the creek. Some welcome 90 degree days.
IMG_4136.JPG
May
Kinda quiet – but it was my first taste of the far North of a NH beach break, which going forward will be known as “The Corner”. This is a beginning of a beautiful friendship.
IMG_4299a.jpg
June
Cold weather, warm water. NH delivers the goods yet again, and I finally solved the “Riddle of the Middle”.
P7180191.JPG
July
New Spot! – Firsties right in my own back yard. No longer is my home town an incoming high tide area.
New Spot! – An often overlooked NH beach break – fun little private peaks – I gotta see this place with some juice.
The Red Anderson John Farberow is back! I bought it in ’05 and sold it after a few months and regretted it. The guy who got it hardly ever used it, so it was basically new. Even swap for the Andreini – I know, I know, but the Andreini is a hull, and a funky set up around here.
IMG_4732.JPG
August
New Spot! – Legendary Rhode Island longboard spot which boasts arguable the longest left on the East Coast. The Farberow shines!
New Spot! – Legendary Rhode Island Point break. I’ve surfed the spots just down from the point, but never the Point itself.
Hurricane Bill rocked.
P9130024.JPG
September
Hurricane Danny rocked, and there was more RI fun at my new favorite spot. The Hansen 50-50 works nicely on chest high days.
polaroid-5.jpg
October
Some swells, but a big let down overall. The one exception was that session at The Corner
14890008.JPG
November
New Spot! - Maine is the main thing. Fabulous beach break, that’s all I’m going to say.
New Spot! – Another spot in my own backyard. No further comment.
IMG_5508.JPG
December
Mini-Zekeing it at The Corner
New Spot! – Crappy conditions at the hairy localized short board shredders only place. I must say, it’s a good wave even in junk conditions on a noserider.

New Year’s resolution:

I dunno, keep my karma clean and cross step more.

No comments:

Post a Comment